Thursday, February 26, 2009

FPU

Tonight is our first class of Financial Peace University. If you remember this you know that one of my resolutions for the new year was to say "no" to buying things I don't need. After I read Dave Ramsey's book I got all fired up about it. I talked to Josh about it and we decided that attending his Financial Peace University would be a great idea. Since we've only been married a few months and don't have too many financial obligations at this point we thought this was the best time to learn a lot about finances and what God has to say about them. I looked up the classes online and found one near us that was on a day we could attend. So...tonight is our first meeting and I'm really excited about it. It is supposed to last 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours and it goes on for 12 weeks with a different topic each week. It starts out with a video of Dave and then ends up with discussion questions. I think it will be great!! Josh and I have already done so well with cutting out things we don't need and have been able to save and use our money where we need it, PTL, so I am sure these classes will only further our efforts. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

I did weigh this morning and there was little change. I'm not at all bummed about it because with the fluctuations of last week I feel like this is a good place for me. I've decided to switch my weigh days to Fridays so I'm going to give it a whirl again tomorrow. We'll see what happens!!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Josh and I did FPU class at church after my dad bought us the book for an engagement present. We really enjoyed it and learned so much! I take the little brown envelope thing everywhere in my purse. I swear if you saw me at Walmart you would see me bust it out!! haha! Enjoy!

Fridays sound like a great day to weigh!:)

TriciaNae said...

We had our first "real" class last night. We are so excited!!! We will totally have to share our successes with each other!!

Heather said...

We love Dave ramsey, my husband is all about him. We had friends take a similar class and it they loved it! Hope you have a lot of success!

Lauren said...

That should be awesome, LOVE Dave Ramsey!!! :o)

Megan L Hutchings said...

I think this is a GREAT idea :)! You will have to share with us the tips you learn!

kate said...

please tell me about Dave Ramsey's...I've often wanted to take it.

I'm exercising eachday...as a form of dedication for Lent. It's real hard to lay in bed and reason why I dont have to get up for Jesus. I give you props for weighing...I'd rather show my debt than weigh in publically.

hugs!

shack said...

Hi Hillary!! I am a reader of Kelly's blog and found you over a year ago...love your blog too! I wanted to comment on Dave and FPU. My husband and I completed the class last spring..and in the 12 weeks we saved 7,000...which seemed impossible. I too was a "shopper" and we ate out to the rate of $800/month. I am here to say that it is lifechanging and so worth it. Funny, that right after our savings and the class ended...our airconditioner died after 10yrs and we bought a new one free and clear with cash-It was exhilirating, rather than stressful.

I actually found FPU to be kinda like the successes of weight loss...seeing how much we could "live without" and really how much it gave us in return. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Good for you to start early, we have been married 10 yrs in April, so it will only bless you a ton.

Thanks for your candid and honest blog...I love it!
Love, Wendy Leonard
Tampa, Florida