Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Resolution...

I haven't set any resolutions for the last several years because I never stick to them. But this year I decided I'd try a few.

First of all I REALLY want to blog more. I hate being out of the blogging loop. The problem is that I am unable to posts things to my blogs and read blogs at work. The job I started after we got married has kept me busier than the last one. I realize that work is for work but I had the luxury of some freedom at my last position. Another reason it is so hard is that somewhere in my mind I decided I couldn't blog unless I had pictures. And since the computer I use is soooo slow blogging with lots of pictures was something I dreaded...which is why I hardly do it. It's take a while of feeling "out of the loop" to realize that less really is more. And just a paragraph or two still counts as blogging. Don't get me wrong, I will post pictures. But for now I just want to get into the habit of blogging. I'll do my best to keep this resolution going.

Another resolution is to say "no." Not "no" to people but to myself. Since I've been married and out of my work out routine I've put on the pounds. I could blame those things but really my inability to say "no" has caused this downward spiral. Yes, my ultimate goal is to lose weight but my resolution is to say "no" which should allow me to reap the benefits of weight loss. I mean self control is a fruit of the Spirit, right? And I'm certain this battle is going to take the power of the Holy Spirit!

More than just saying "no" to eating I want to say "no" to things I don't need. Fortunately Josh and I have done well about not living too frivolously. We try not to spend money on things we don't need, however, sometimes we go in cycles. Maybe one month we won't eat out at all and the next month we'll eat out 3 times a week. Plus the $10 book here and there plus the extra "little items" at Walmart that getting added to the grocery list. Those things add up and I (we) just need to say "no." For those of you who don't know, Josh and I currently live with my parents. I know, I know...how on earth could we do that? Well, its simple. When we got married I didn't sell my house in Fayetteville or get a job in Little Rock until the last possible moment (Thank you, LORD, for your provisions!) so living with mom and dad was a good idea. So far it has been great, actually. Not at all what people might think it would be like. Josh and I have plans to get a place of our own (rent or buy...we don't know yet) in the near future. We just don't want to rush things. Josh asked that we both read a book about financial planning before we make a big decision. Yesterday Josh picked up The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. I have read it ALL day! It's so good and it's part of the reason saying "no" has become a goal for the new year. Not really a goal but a habit I want to form. Eventually I would love to be able to stay at home when the LORD blesses Josh and I with children so having a good plan and a habit of saying "no" are the things I need to help that dream become a reality. I still have 70 pages left but already I'm feeling motivated...and convicted. There are a lot of things that need to change in our lives. To name one example, going to get breakfast at Panera Bread a couple times a week will not get the car paid off sooner. Hmmm...a sacfrice? It will be to me. But so worth it!

Ok...I know you're tired of hearing my little sermonettes so I'll let you get back to the first day of 2009. Happy New Year to you all!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Please blog - I don't need pictures!!! :-)
I'm proud of you and Josh. I kind of wish Scott and I would have started out living a little more frugal so it wouldn't come as such a shock with one income goes away. :-) I'll be learning to say NO a lot soon!

Mrs. Shelton said...

I have missed you blogging! Glad you are back. I kind of went really slow for a while, but hope to get back and post more frequently. I too could eat Panera everyday for breakfast AND lunch. I Love thier cinammon rolls for breakfast and frontego chicken and broccoli cheddar soup for lunch. I had it Wednesday. Luckily it isn't in my hometown but about 25 minutes away where we go shopping! :)

The Bunch Fam! said...

You're a hoot...maybe Josh and I can be financial accountability partners and you and Jenny can be No to Cupcakes on Kavanaugh accountability partners. :)

Jennifer said...

I've heard great things about Dave Ramsey........I love the debt snowball. :) I've been checking out the website in hopes of not buying the book. I may have to just splurge. :)
Welcome back to bloggin!

'The H Family' said...

hey girl! i have to say that trey and i swear by dave ramsey!! we both soooo wish that we would have started our marriage out doing that. we went through his 'financial peace' thing last year and have be on 'his' plan for almost two years now and it has allowed me to be home with jay. way to go on checking that out so soon!! hope married life is great...fun to keep up via your blog!

Melis.sa said...

hi, randomly found your page. :) The dave ramsey book is AMAZING!!! Once you start paying things off, it seriously becomes addicting to get to the next bill.