Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Weekend Eats

Josh and I had a great weekend filled with yummy food! Friday after work I scurried home so I could make us a yummy dinner. I have been really wanting to try my friend Erin's recipe for Bow Tie Fiesta.

It was sooooo yummy and sooooo easy!

You can find the recipe here. For dessert I wanted Apple Dumplings so I made them. :)

These are the easy apple dumplings that have Mt. Dew in them. My grandmother used to make the ones from scratch but I'm just not all about "scratch" these days.

They were really good and hit the spot.

Josh had never had them before and he loved them too. I always like making things he really likes. Luckily he isn't picky at all!


Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings
2-3 large Granny Smith Apples, peeled and sliced into 1/8 slices
2 pkgs crescent rolls
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
12 oz Mountain Dew
Grease a 9x13" pan. Melt butter in sauce pan. Add sugar and cinnamon. Cook mixture stirring frequently. Roll up each apple slice in a crescent roll, starting from the large end to the small end. Place in the pan. Spread extra apples around in the pan as well. Pour the sugar mixture over the top of the dumplings then pour the Mountain Dew over the sugar mixture. Bake at 350 degrees 35-40 minutes. Do not cover. The recipe doesn't call for this but I sprinkled some brown sugar over the top before I baked them. I'm a fan of sugar.
Serve with vanilla ice cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.
The on Saturday night I made enchiladas, cheese dip, and punch. Josh LOVED the enchiladas. I mean LOVED them. I was so glad because they are really easy and there isn't much to them. I wasn't sure what he'd think about them so I was thrilled that I can make these again and again.
Enchiladas
1 pkg flour tortillas, soft taco size
2-3 8 oz cans of tomato sauce
1 can of chili with no beans
1 pkg enchilada seasoning
1 lb ground beef
8 oz shredded cheese
1 onion chopped to cook with ground beef
Cook meat and onion until done, set aside. In sauce pan simmer together enchilada seasoning, tomato sauce, chili, plus 1 cup of water (I use less water and extra tomato sauce). In a 9x13 inch pan spread a small amount of the sauce over the bottom. Make enchiladas by adding meat mixture and cheese and roiling them up. Place in the pan. Once the pan is full pour the sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Add cheese, cover, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

YUMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! :)

Kristin said...

Those are great recipes! I've made the apple dumplings before and they are SO good! I'll have to try the other two you posted.

Donna said...

It all looks delicious...I think I have heartburn just looking at it!!!!

Ashley E. said...

Oh yum. Now I'm hungry!

Melissa said...

i make those apple dumplings the "easy" way, take one pkg of cresent rolls and just line the bottom of a pan, put a bunch of apples on top, line the whole top with the other pkg of cresent rolls. no need to roll each apple. i love it! they are yummy!

Anonymous said...

Those apple dumplings look delicious! And especially with the vanilla ice cream - yum!

Trina said...

I must make those Apple dumplings !!