Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Reason for the Season



For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.



Isaiah 9:6



I concur. I agree wholeheartedly. You are right.



Christmas really is so much different with a baby (or a child). I am so much more excited about Sadie getting fun things and experiencing fun things that I don't care if I do or not.



There's something else though. Now that I have a little baby in my presence the pressure to make sure she "gets" Christmas is a big deal.



I love she'll get new toys and enjoy playing with boxes and wrapping paper. I love she'll get to spend time with family. You all know I love she gets to wear cute holiday outfits and get her picture taken. I love that we get to start new traditions with her including Santa Clause.



All of these things are great but more importantly I love she'll be able to learn about Jesus, the reason we celebrate. I want more than anything else for her to want and desire to celebrate His birth. I want her to think of this season as a season of giving to others, not gifts but of love and time. I want her to recognize and be thankful for the things she has while reaching out to others who don't have those things.



Ok, I know, what some of you are thinking. This all sounds great on paper but in reality as she gets older she's going to be just like every other child and be more concerned about herself than anyone else.

Maybe so.

I hope not.

I pray not.

And as her mother I'm going to do my best to teach her differently. I want her to have fun but I don't ever want her to forget the reason for the season. You know what though? It starts with me (and Josh). Do I really spend this holiday season celebrating the birth of Jesus or am I too busy? Or too tired? Or too worried about buying the perfect gift? I'm pretty sure if I put this holiday season in line with where it should be then my children will naturally follow suit.



On that note, while shopping this weekend I saw this at the store and told Josh Sadie HAD TO HAVE IT. It was a Christmas gift but more like a Christmas tradition.



Each year I want her to enjoy playing with this while hearing the story of Jesus.


Obviously, this year she doesn't get it but she sure thinks all the toys are great to chew on.

4 comments:

The Bunch Fam! said...

We had one the first year as well. Mom and dad have it so the boys can play with it at their house as well. I love love love love it. And I love that Ben pushes the Angel to hear the song. And I love that his little choir sang "Away in a Manger" this year and so he sings along when he pushes the angel. It's the best.

Carol said...

My girls love that nativity set. Just this morning they each were chewing on pieces of it, even Lily, who is much too old to do so. It really is hard to figure out how to honor the Lord the best in this season - definitely something we are working on in our house as well!

Barbara said...

What a great gift!My nephew has received a nativity scene every year since he was born, starting with one made out of cloth and then toy ones and as he gets older (he is 18yrs old) he gets nicer sets. He will be able to take them when he has his his own family!

Becca said...

Very well said! Thank you so much for the reminder of why we celebrate and for the charge to teach the little ones around us. God Bless!