Thursday, February 7, 2008

TMI

Those of you who know me know that I have had issues with kidney stones in the past. Actually the last time I passed one was January of 1997. It was quite an experience and one I never wanted to re-live. A few weeks ago I started dropping hints to my parents and to Josh that I might be dealing with those pesky things again. In effort to rule a few things out I went to the doctor. I was hoping they would tell me I just have an infection and all would be well. Last Friday (before Josh's big weekend at Lifeline...what great timing) I went to the doctor. She gave me an antibiotic but also made subtle hints that she didn't think it was a UTI but something else. She told me if my symptoms didn't get better by Monday to give her a call. Well they most certainly did not get better. Fortunately I was able to make it through all of the weekend festivities. At the beginning of the week I called the doctor (actually the lady I've been seeing is a nurse practioner but since my good friend Laura is also one of those I knew I was in good hands). She made me an appointment to come back in and see her. At this point I'm convinced its kidney stones. But the more I started thinking about it the more I didn't know. Those are simply the only thing I've dealt with that are comparable. Anyway, I went in to see her. They drew blood, I peed in a cup (fyi), and then she informed me she wanted to schedule a CT scan to see what's going on. She's not convinced its kidney stones so I guess she wants to get a picture of everything just in case. Before I left though she provided me with the famous strainer.

Since I've been through this drill before I knew it was coming. You simply use the apparatus to strain your pee...excuse me...urine. That's the proper name. But not only did she give me that she gave me something else too.

Apparently I'm supposed to pee (urinate) into this and then strain it. The best part was that I had to carry that from where I was, through the lobby, and to my car. Talk about embarrassing! I realize I'm going against the doctor's orders but I figure I have pretty good aim so I'm not going to mess with the potty seat they gave me! For the love!

Anyway, the nurse called and scheduled my CT scan at the hospital for this coming Monday. MONDAY! That's so long away! What if it is a kidney stone and it hits? What if its something more serious? Who do I call during the weekend and late at night if I need some pain relief? I was talking to my good friend Shannon about what the nurse had been saying. Without me knowing it she spoke with her boss (who has major connections at the hospital). Apparently he (her boss) didn't like that I had to wait until Monday so he made a phone call. Lo and behold today around 8:30 this morning the hospital called and told me to come on down for my test! Woohoo!! Talk about knowing the right people! Thanks to Shannon and Dan for helping me out! Now I'm just waiting for the results. I'll find out in the next 48 hours. In the meantime I'm continuing to drink gallons of water and praying that its nothing more serious.

12 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh Gosh - I hope you don't have stones. Bless your heart! That's horrible!!!!
This post made me laugh (not at your pain - just at you in general!)

ashleydiggs said...

I've never had kidney stones but from what they tell me, they're as painful as giving birth! I'm so sorry and I hope that it's something EXTREMELY minor!!! On another note, I am SO excited that you're coming to LR!!!

Anonymous said...

Hillary, I'll be praying for you!! I don't know how much I can help here in TX, but feel free to call!

Anonymous said...

Hillary, I'll be praying for you!! I don't know how much I can help here in TX, but feel free to call!

Rebekah said...

You poor thing! The kidney stones are bad enough, but that potty?!?! If Laura ever tells me I need to pee (at my house we call it whiz!) in a potty like that...i think I would laugh at her! Glad you did not have to wait til Monday...how miserable!

Shannon said...

HA!!! I can't believe you had to carry that thing through the dr's office!
I'm glad my "connections" were helpful. I guess it does actually pay to work at a hospital sometimes!

Jessica said...

I hate bladder infections! They are awful! I hope it is nothing serious!

Leigh Ann said...

So sorry. Glad you got in quicker though. Hope you get back to your old self quick and it's nothing major.

Leigh Ann said...

So sorry. Glad you got in quicker though. Hope you get back to your old self quick and it's nothing major.

Guy and Julie said...

Oh how awful! Both the stones and the potty! I hope it's nothing serious, and I hope you're not having too much pain while you're waiting on results! You would think they would have had little baggies or Walmart sacks around for you to carry that out in!

Fran said...

Oh Hillary! I'm praying for you friend! Do you want it to be stones??? I guess so since you know the drill! :) Regardless, I'm praying for painfree and quick recovery and good news!

Now, I'm going to get caught up and read about your mans new church! LOOKS AWESOME!

The Bunch Fam! said...

Well, unfortunately we recognize the apparati (pl. of apparatus?) all too well...hang on to that small plastic strainter...some docs just give you the paper strainers...what a joke!

Seriously, though...we're praying. Jenny feels your pain.