Wednesday, October 6, 2010

12 Week Appointment

Monday was my 12 week appointment. As always I was VERY nervous before hand. It's weird though because once they call my name back my nerves usually go away. Josh went with me for this appointment because we knew we'd hear the heartbeat and at our last appointment she said she'd do another ultrasound "just for fun." I was concerned though that when the time came she wouldn't remember about the US. There wasn't really a need for it other than we couldn't really get a good picture the last time because the baby was so small.

When my doctor came into the exam room we pretty much immediately went for the heartbeat. It took her a while to find it so I was a little nervous. Once she did though it was amazing. There's nothing like hearing that sound. Wow. She let us listen for a while and then she seemed to be dismissing us. I quickly spoke up and reminded her that she said we could take a peek at baby. She didn't even hesitate so we all headed back to the US room. Have I mentioned that I love my doctor? :)

When the ultrasound began it didn't take long to see the baby...a very active baby. Oh. My. Word. This child was so funny. It would not sit still. It was moving and a shaking. At one point it stuck out its little booty (we could tell because we could see the spine). Josh and I had the best time watching it move its arms and legs. It even did a little push up. :) I'm so amazed at how developed this baby is at 12 weeks. TWELVE WEEKS!! I think everyone woman should be required by law to have an US and see the baby before she opts for an abortion. I won't get off on that right now because I have a feeling there's a separate post coming for that. So for now, back to the appointment.
Josh and I loved getting to see our little baby and all the activity going on. At one point the Dr. said, "You're in for it" because if the baby was this active in the womb there's no telling how it will be once we bring it home. Our doctor took some close up pictures so I thought I'd share them. To most of you they won't look like much of anything. Plus I was running short on time and couldn't add an arrows to point out the parts.

The Legs

This one is the hardest to tell. One leg is laying on top on the left and the other is on the right.

The Alien Face
If you tilt your head to the right you'll see the little alien face.

The Arms
One of the arms is sticking up in the middle and the other one is on the right. You can tell this one because you can see the 5 little fingers.
As far as my pregnancy so far here's what's been going on:
  • I started getting "morning sickness" around 6 weeks. I would be really nauseous but never throw up. It started out being mid morning and early evening then it quickly progressed to 24/7. I have zofran for the days and phenegran for night. Last week was so bad that nothing helped. I was so sick all day long. At our appointment I told my doctor it was probably motion sickness from the baby moving so much. Luckily though the last two days have been better. I don't think it's completely over but I think I can make it.
  • My friend Jenny told me that when I was pregnant I would stop liking the things I love. I told her I could never not like cupcakes. Well, wouldn't ya know, I don't like them. I've eaten them a couple times out of denial but every time they make me sick. And now the thought of one grosses me out. Another sad food aversion...Chick-fil-A. *GASP* I know. It's awful but I DO NOT LIKE IT! The thought of it makes me gag. I can't wait to have it again one day.
  • I'm all about pizza. I could eat it every meal. I don't know what it is about it. Oh and the only kind I really want is pepperoni or just cheese. I don't want anything else.
  • Demons have possessed my digestive system. I won't go into details except to say that every part of the digestion systems has been tampered with and doesn't work properly.
  • I can't stand water! I used to only drink water but now in order for me to drink it it has to be super cold and even then I don't like it.
  • I got to the bathroom about 4 times during the night. I can't sleep well at all because of it.
  • I dream CRAZY things but I can't ever remember them when I wake up. Its throughout the day that I'll remember parts of them and they are weird.
  • Just this week my allergies and stuffy nose have really kicked into high gear. All of a sudden in the middle of the day I can't breathe. Then it will be fine then it will stop up again soon. Weird.
  • I'm having a hard time sleeping on my side. I have a big pillow I use to help but I always wake up on my stomach or back. At least I'm up a lot going to the bathroom so I can adjust.

That's about all of the craziness I can think of for now. I will add more if anything comes to me. I'm just so thankful that right now everything is just fine. This baby is such a blessing to me. Even though it makes me sick and does weird things to my body I wouldn't change a thing. I'm blessed. I don't deserve it but I'm thankful.

13 comments:

Melissa said...

I remember someone telling me once that sickness in the begining is God's way of telling you that everything is still fine and you are still pregnant. Maybe God is trying to ease your worry and fear by reminding you frequently that baby is still there!

Jess :) said...

I just LOVE this post!!!! I'm so glad you got to see your little babe and hear the heartbeat!! What a blessing.

Still praying :)

walkers said...

Chik fil a was my aversion with graham- how funny! don't worry, you will love it again! so excited for you sweet friend!

Kelly said...

I love that baby already so much!

I can't stand chick-fil-a or sonic when I'm pregnant. Now that is weird!!!!

Jenna said...

You're friend was right - with Brayden I couldn't stand chickfila but as soon as he was born we went back to being BFF's!

Shannon said...

I couldn't do chickfila either when I was pregnant! Oh, it was horrible but it goes away quickly after you have the baby. :) Get all the sleep you can get on your tummy and back now!! You won't have to worry about sleeping on your side until like 23 weeks or so and you will definitely miss sleeping on your tummy and back. I would constantly think about the day I could sleep on my tummy again and then I had a c-section and had to wait even longer! Hahaha

Beth Roberts said...

The "digestive issues" are probably from the zofran and/or phenergan -- I was on both of those for 10 weeks with this pregnancy and NOTHING was moving for those entire 10 weeks. Oh my word it was horrible. Once I stopped the zofran, things went back to normal. :) I was too embarrassed to ask my dr about it, but I'm sure there was something I could have taken to help!

And I hated CFA, too! We're back to being friends, most of the time, now! :)

B said...

I know the feeling! I was 24/7 sick until about 20 weeks - I very rarely actually got sick, but some days I was so nauseous it was all I could do to get out of bed. I took zofran the second my feet hit the floor in the morning and then another at lunch. It didn't get rid of my nausea, but it at least took the edge off so I felt like I could function. And the digestive issue is a problem with pregnancy anyway, then add zofran and prenatal vitamins... If you get desperate there are some approved medicines to help get things moving :). And I couldn't stand the thought of Mexican, subway (the smell), among others. And the only time I drank water was the middle of the night when I would wake up about to die of thirst. During the day I drank lots of powerade and then milk once I got over the sickness.

Ashley E. said...

How exciting!!! What is it about Chikfila and being pregnant? The first/only time I threw up in public was right after I ate CFA! Weird!!!

Michelle said...

Hi Hillary! I'm new to your blog and have started following along with your pregnancy...I'll be 14 weeks tomorrow so it's fun to compare our pregnancy symptoms. :) I too can't eat much Chicfila OR hardly drink water. We have a lot in common so far. Makes me wonder if we'll have the same gender. :) Praying for you and baby!

Tiffany Lockette said...

So happy for you on your pregnancy. I myself am 12 weeks pregnant. I think it's so neat that many blogger Mommies I follow are pregnant right now, kind of like we are all going through it together. Congrats to you and best wishes.

Whitney Carr said...

This all sounds sooo familiar! :o) I loved pizza at the beginning too and lots of cheese!
Wait till you go for your US around 20weeks. It is amazing how developed they are!

Modern Nomads said...

You don't know me, but a friend showed me your post. I'm almost 9 weeks pregnant, and I am going through the SAME things as you...no water, CRAVE pizza, hate Chick-fil-a (sadness and can't wait for that aversion to go away), and crazy dreams. I just wanted to thank you for letting me know I am NOT crazy! I pray all continues to go well in your pregnancy. God Bless!!!

Amanda