Monday, November 7, 2011

I Like to Sew

By now you all already know I like to sew. I liked to sew before Sadie came along but now I really like it. There was a short period of time where I made things and sold them. It was a lot of fun but it was also very overwhelming. It actually made me not like sewing very much so I stopped doing it. I think the problem was I wasn't really prepared for interest in the things I was making so when I was bombarded with orders of the SAME item it became time consuming and boring.


I've been hoping to ease back into this "business" for fun and just to make a little extra money. I have thought a lot about how I wanted to handle it so that it wouldn't end up like it was before. For now I think I have a way to keep things fun and not overwhelming.


Right now I have several sewing projects lined up for Sadie and gifts for friends. When buying fabric and supplies for these projects I've bought extra with the intent of making some to sell.


For example, today I am making Sadie a reversible turkey dress. I will have enough fabric to make one more like it and I plan to sell the extra one. I will post a picture of what I make and if anyone is interested they can let me know. Make sense?


In the future I might post a picture of shirt, pants, jon-jon, or whatever and say that I am selling 5 of these. The first 5 people requesting one will get one. From time to time I will take custom orders on things but not everything will be custom.


I figure by doing it this way I can still make Sadie cute things, I won't get bored making the same thing 50 times, there is no pressure for anyone to purchase something from me, and I won't be overwhelmed.


I'm excited to get back in the swing of things. I've missed it. In the near future I hope to have a separate blog where I can post what I'm making so be on the look out for that. Tricia, guess who I will be asking to help with this?? :)


Come back in the next couple of days if you're interested in a Turkey dress size 6-12months.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

This is a great idea to keep you from burning out. When I first started reading the blog post, I was thinking "I need to comment and recommend..." and then you stated what you were going to do :)

I have several friends who sew and do something similar to this and they say it helps them!

Debby said...

I have been wanting to make a reversible dress/jumper for my granddaughter (2T), but haven't been able to find a pattern. Can you share where you found the reversible pattern? Love your blog --- Sadie is such a cutie !!

Andrea @ The Dawley Fam said...

How cute! I also love to sew and this is a cute idea! I never have sold anything though, I just make it for my 8 month old daughter and for friends. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Love from Texas said...

OMG I know what you mean about when you're doing it for "work" it's not as much fun... And about doing the same thing over and over again. I recently stopped taking orders from even friends and family. I need a break! Can't wait to see what you come up with. I lover everything you do for Sadie!

Mr. and Mrs. B said...

I would LOVE a dress for my little girl. Please let me know when you finish it. I am sure I will love it. Sadie has the most precious stuff on all the time. I love to sew and would love to make more stuff for my little girl, however, I have yet to figure out how to to get much accomplished with her and her twin brother around. Maybe once I can consistently keep up with the laundry I will dive back into sewing!!