Tuesday, April 17, 2012


This week has not started out as I expected. I thought I would rest up from the crazy first birthday festivities and get back to the to-do list that took a back seat to the party planning. Um, yeah, not so much.
Sunday night I started hearing a rattle in Sadie's throat. It came and went so I just assumed it was a head cold. I knew her well visit was first thing yesterday morning so I wasn't too concerned. When we got up yesterday Sadie sounded pitiful and she had a fever. I still didn't think much about it but by the time we got to her well visit appointment I knew something was up.
What was supposed to be a short well visit with 12 month shots turned into a 3 hour appointment which consisted of a chest X-ray and two breathing treatments. Sadie was diagnosed with either a virus or walking pneumonia.
We got her some medicine plus a nebulizer and thought they would do the trick. Not so much. After her first breathing treatment at home she was still wheezing. She played some, ate a little, but then started acting weird. She began breathing really hard and couldn't catch her breath. She was really lethargic and almost out of it. It scared us so we set up another breathing treatment. It didn't help and she just got worse. We immediately put her in her seat and Josh drove as fast as he could to the pediatric urgent care. That was the longest ride of my life and I have never been more scared. Once we got there they heard her breathing and let us go back to get checked. She started perking up and settled down a little. I was so thankful. Her pulse oxygen levels started improving so we went to the waiting room to wait to be seen by the doctor.
Sadie started acting like herself and I knew the prayers of friends were the reason. It didn't take long though and she started breathing heavy again and her fever went back up. The nurse called us back and after monitoring her knew she needed another treatment. It helped a little but not like it should have. The doctor came in and told us they wanted to admit her to our local children's hospital ( which is amazing) and I was so thankful. I was scared to take her home and have her start doing what she did earlier in the day. We were informed she had to be transported by ambulance and I think Sadie was really excited about it. :)
We arrived at the ACH ER around 7:30pm and after two more breathing treatments were in a room about 12:30am. They said she had croup but would still give her medicine for pneumonia since her chest X-ray wasn't clear. It was a long night of no sleep, breathing treatments, etc but after 8:00am this morning Sadie was breathing much better. They monitored her until 4:00 pm then sent us home. I'm so thankful she is better, I'm thankful for doctors and nurses, and my heart is heavy for the momma's and daddies with really sick babies. This was the scariest time for me and I know some parent's really suffer through watching their children fight terrible diseases.
Anyway, I will leave you with some pictures of my sweet baby.

Most expensive ride of her life!

She enjoyed crawling under her bed.

Nap time with Jules.

Feeling much better.

Watching tv with mommy.

Eating and wearing lots of strawberries.

Traveling circus.
Thank you to everyone who prayed for us! It could have been so much worse and I'm so thankful for all of your thoughts and prayers.


Lacy said...

I just hated all of this for y'all. I am so glad she is feeling better and on the road to recovery and y'all are home.. Will continue to pray for her.. She is so cute.. ;)

Alex and Jill said...

I'm so thankful that sweet baby is ok. I can imagine how scared & helpless you must have felt. :( Give Sadie kisses from us!

Carol said...

So sorry for such a rough day. Glad she is feeling better - and that she was still styling a bow at the hospital. Love it.

Darci said...

Looks like she enjoyed that little ambulance ride!! What a scary few days for you guys!

Tara G. said...

Rejoicing with you that she is better and I hope you can catch up on sleep! Our youngest had reactive airways and the first time we were in the ER for that was so unnerving. Turns out, it was always brought on by wood smoke (forest fires in CA or even from a wood-burning stove). We're hoping she has outgrown it!

Kim Kauffman said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this! My daughter (19 months) had croup in January and oh my goodness it is SO scary. Hope Sadie is feeling better.

Marcie said...

That sounds so scary!
Glad that Sadie is feeling better!